The Liliger Family Cemetery, also known as Felix's Grave, is a haunt of note in the St. Joseph,MO, area. This cemetery dates back to the late 1800's. Located in the Sunbridge Hills Conservation area in the north end of Saint Joseph, MO, off Huntoon Road, this cemetery contains a dozen or so poorly kept graves. There are many tales surrounding this area and have been for many years.
Sunbridge Hills was the area that the Native Americans went to pass over to the next life or afterlife. Native Americans called this region "Lanowa", which means "sacred region". This was surely an area strong with Native American presence and was most certainly very important in the lives and rituals of the tribes of the area.
Joseph Liliger was a prominent and successful farmer in Washington township, Buchanan County. He had a well-cultivated farm of 58 acres not far from the City Water-Works of St. Joseph and the Missouri River. He was born in Prussia, Germany, in September, 1831, to Frank and Maria (Parker) Liliger. They were farmers and raised him to be a farmer also. After obtaining an education, he learned the trade of blacksmith and worked at it until he came to the United States in 1853.
He landed in Baltimore, Maryland, and spent some time in New Orleans. He came to St. Joseph in 1858, and worked very profitably as a blacksmith until 1862, when he decided to close his shop on Main Street and retire to his farm that he had purchased the previous year. Mr. Liliger also owned a farm of 320 acres in Butler County, Kansas. He was considered one of the substantial men of Washington township.
Mr. Liliger first married Mary Stump of St. Joseph, who died and left three children, Frank, Joseph, who managed the home place, and Rachel. His second marriage was to Mary Thomas, who was born in Hardin County, Kentucky, and came to Missouri in 1851, at the age of six. They had one son, James.
Also in this area are caves. According to local tales, these caves were used during the late 70's and early 80's as Satanic worship caves and are thusly called the "Devil Worship Caves". It is unknown to this group whether there was legitimate Satanic rituals and occult activities happening during that time or if some of the local kids found it to be a good hang out and decided to put markings on the caves to keep others away.
After visiting the site to assess for safety issues and the like, Paranormal St.Joe did a three part investigation of the area. This would have been considered our first "true investigation".
We took many photos and did much recording to search for EVP and did find a few interesting things.
The remainder of this book will be photos and you can listen to a couple of the more "unexplainable " EVP recordings through the players at the bottom of the page.
Click on photos to enlarge.